Monday, April 28, 2014

Training Highlights

So where do I begin?? Well.. I think I have to begin with the sad news. We were having very stormy and windy weather last night and we noticed that Mama Robin's nest was tilting a little... We were both prompted to push it back up with gloves on or something but we didn't do it... This morning her nest had blown off and all the eggs were destroyed. I felt like crying!! Mama was sitting in the middle of the road not moving... She looked like she was trying to commit suicide. We're going to try to carefully put the nest back. Maybe she'll lay more eggs or another bird will use it.. It's devastating though.
                                                                         
The nest on the ground with tiny broken blue egg shells - so sad.

So I was thrilled when I was called as a trainer! I knew I had finally worked hard enough to show Heavenly Father He could trust me with that responsibility. I knew I could do it. When I got to the meeting for the trainers, I saw that there were only 7 of us that would be training. Only 7 missionaries came in and only 2 sisters. The Lord chose me. From over 150 sisters, He chose me. I was floored. I kind of sat in awe thinking how special that was. How trainers are chosen is the Assistants and other leaders suggest trainers. President prays over that list and chooses from it. I was recommended and chosen! Others in this mission and Heavenly Father all see my potential. It made my day!!!

Ok here's the scoop:
My companion's name is Sister Schenk (Shank). She is from Twin Falls Idaho. I love her! She has a twin sister that looks nothing like her, who is serving in Frankfort Germany. She is 21 and she went to BYU for 3 years. She wants to be a biologist. She plays the viola and piano. I will write about transfer day later in the email. We worked so hard every day that we literally dropped into bed. I fell asleep at 10:00 p.m. last night and the other night we felt like zombies. It's so awesome!! No wonder trainees are worn out... trainers go crazy and do all sorts of hard stuff! Now I get it!
                                                                         
Sister Rokovitz and her new companion, straight from the MTC, Sister Schenk.

Brother Fulgham and his wife gave us a ride to transfers. We called him at 8:45 p.m. and had to leave at 5:00 a.m. My first week has gone pretty good! I still need to be way more obedient and set a better example for her but it has been fantastic. We have worked our butts off! We are practically out of miles and so we went tracting a lot and also, we rode bikes!!! First mission biking experience. Sister Schenk got a bike from a sister who went home and I borrowed a members. We loved it. It's so fun to just ride around and stop and talk to people. I'll tell you about who we met later in the email.

So, transfer meeting changed my life. Well, I feel like in the moment it did. I'm still trying to apply what I learned so it can change my life even greater. Dan Clark was our guest speaker. He was hilarious, bold, and amazing! He talked about missionary work. How it's about us!! He said someone received his patriarchal blessing after he was baptized at the age of 70. He got up at some meeting, pulled it out and started reading. It said "you would have joined the church many years ago but the missionary who was supposed to teach you decided not to go on a mission." Um... Whoa. What the heck am I doing when I take 5 extra minutes to get out the door?! What am I thinking when I focus only on grocery shopping on Monday instead of the people around me?! There are people here that HAVE to hear the gospel from me. He talked about making a covenant with the Lord to do something during your mission that no other missionary in the Tennessee Nashville Mission has done!!! I am determined to do that. I haven't done it yet. But I will. He pounded us with the spirit. Several times I was zoned into just him. I was fixed. Sometimes I would glance around and see the Assistants on the stand, with jaws dropped and wide eyes. I want to do everything I can to make my mission a success!! He said if we are not absolutely bawling our eyes out on the last day of our mission then we have failed. Dan Clark changed my whole perspective.
                                                                           
President and Sister Andersen with Dan Clark

I gave a training the next day in district meeting on becoming a successful missionary and how it's measured by your commitment! I want to be a successful missionary. No regrets. It's hard though. Especially at 6:29 a.m. when the bed is just so perfect and the floor is the easiest spot to exercise. Man.. I just have to master my body.

Anyways, so about that person we met. Terry. We were riding our bikes to the square, about a mile or two from home, just for fun. We get close and these really cool cars start coming out from the square. There was a car show!!! I wanted to go for 2 reasons: 1. I love cool cars and 2. People!!! The car show had ended and people were lingering. We started around the square and I saw a group of people on the opposite side. I wanted to go by them. We started over there and right before we crossed, a guy on the corner asked if we were just out for a ride. He was probably wondering why we looked so stupid! I mean really... skirts, bikes, helmets... Yeah. Dork status = 100%. Anyways, turns out he heard the engines from his house and came to see what was going on. We started talking and ended up talking for over an hour! He used to go to church but now he doesn't. He's trying to find what's right and figure out his life. He's 35 and single and just working. He has a lot of faith. We taught the Plan of Salvation and the Gospel of Jesus Christ and baptism and Holy Ghost and so much more!!! He has such good questions. We gave him a Book of Mormon and he said he would start that night. Well the next day he texted us before our meeting and said he wanted to come to church but didn't have a ride. So we frantically texted everyone in Marion. Finally a member responded. He picked Terry up and he came to church!!! Terry's first experience consisted of a testimony meeting, learning about the priesthood, priesthood meeting, a baptism, and a lunch afterwards. Haha full experience right? Five whole hours of it. He said "I have never been to such a long church service before!" Haha he's amazing! And we're meeting with him tonight at 6:00 p.m.! Baptism date set tonight?! I think so!!! The Lord totally gave him to us. Now I want to show the Lord that we'll take care of him.
                                                                             
Sisters in helmets!

Oh and guess who we had trying to come into church yesterday... A turtle!!! He was right at the door just waiting for someone to open it so he could go inside! He had a yellow face and when we picked him up he folded all up. His shell folds! It's like a door for his face. Coolest thing ever!!!!
                                                                             
Mr. Turtle in his shell, wanting to come to church.

Donnie came back from his vacation and was so sad that he missed the temple trip. We're planning one for him though. We want him to go! And he has names he wants to do but he has to get permission. But he is
working on getting the priesthood and Larry will get the priesthood on Mother's Day!!!

We had thunder all night long last night. Sister Schenk was feeling sick and she got up about 3 times. I woke up countless times.. I would wake up, shift and then wait for the thunder. Without fail, each time I woke up, it happened. And every time it shook the entire house. I thought man.. it must be getting close to 6:30 a.m., it's been a long night!! Nope... 1:30 a.m. It was a rough night. And we're suppose to have severe storms tonight and tomorrow. I love it.

Less than 2 weeks till Skype!!! Have a great week!

~Sister Rokovitz~