Monday, October 21, 2013

Teaching, Learning and Staying Positive

Dear Family,

Things I've noticed about Tennessee: (1) There are SO many churches here!!! And I don't think I've seen a single one with the same name. (2) Nashville traffic is the worst traffic I've seen in my life. We can be 4 miles away from our house but have to leave 30-45 minutes before dinner to get home in time. (3) There are a lot of people making a living off of selling newspapers here... there's practically one on every corner. (4) The YMCA is big here.

My backpack straps are already starting to rip. So I had to sew those. I'm pretty handy with a needle and thread :P  Ok so Tuesday was actually pretty good. We visited a girl named Tiffany that we met at the bus stop one day but she's a referral for the other sisters. She's only 27 and has 4 kids! But she seems pretty solid. Also, we got a referral for someone named Fady. We thought it would be a YSA girl but, it was a married Egyptian man who had requested a bible online. He didn't really understand what was going on, but he let us in and we taught him and his brother and sister-in-law. Cool fact: He speaks and reads Arabic. We also had a lesson with Shay that day. She isn't getting baptized this Saturday because we felt like we were kind of pushing her into baptism a little too fast. She wants to get baptized but we want her to pray about a date and figure out when she'll be ready. She liked that idea.

Wednesday was quite the emotional roller coaster. Dad... How do you know?? How do you know that God is God and that Jesus is the Christ and everything else in the gospel. I believe, but how do you know? Also, what does it mean in 1 Nephi 12 heading when it says the disciples of Christ AND the apostles? And how would you describe what the gifts in D&C mean that say:
Vs. 15 And again, to some it is given by the Holy Ghost to know the differences of administration, as it will be pleasing unto the same Lord, according as the Lord will, suiting his mercies according to the conditions of the children of men.
Vs. 16 And again, it is given by the Holy Ghost to some to know the diversities of operations, whether they be of God, that the manifestations of the Spirit may be given to every man to profit withal.
And what does it mean for "the Lord to make bare his arm?" I've seen that come up a couple times.

Thursday we taught Carre that day. That was fun.. and difficult! She is amazing! Carre works for her church, so she said she couldn't miss hers to come to ours or she would get fired. She has a lot of knowledge and faith. She read almost all of 1st Nephi which was amazing! But I don't feel like she read to know if it was true. She had a lot of questions about Joseph Smith and she read on the internet and asked her priests questions when she should be asking us. She has questions about the plan of salvation too, but I love her so much!!!

I think that's the night I got a package from aunt Lisa :) She filled it with popcorn, mini brownie cakes, chocolate, Halloween candy :D Just as a surprise!! It made my night! I also got a letter from Allana. She said to remember to pray during my hard times :)

Thursday night we went to the hospital to visit members, and on our way to the children’s hospital we said Hi to a man and asked how he was. He stopped to talk and told us his name was Randy and he was visiting his friend Pat. We asked if we could come say a prayer and he said she would love a prayer! So we went up and met Pat who was in the critical care tower. We talked to them for a long time and they were just funny!! We ended with a prayer and Pat cried. She just loves christian people! She's a great lady with a strong testimony. We also went back the next night with the sisters and sang to her. She loved it and cried and asked us to sing a second song.

Saturday.. was a very very cold day. Very cold. Sunday.. During church I was studying my hymn book and underlining things and the song on page 45 stuck out to me. It's exactly my cry to my Father in Heaven. Read it. I'm going to do the things it says in my prayers each morning and sing it too while Sister Giles is in the shower. I'm also going to start each prayer by thanking Him for everything I can think of. It changed my mood that day. It was awesome. We enjoyed tracting that night in the perfect weather (and in my red coat.) One of my favorite actresses is a less-active in our area and our Relief Society president is practically famous and had her phone number so we got it and we're going to contact her!!! :D Don't know if anything will happen though.

A mission is hard. Thee hardest thing I have ever done and ever experienced. I've cried a lot and felt lonely... good thing I have Cuddles with me! My one piece of home that I can snuggle up with at night and he still wipes my tears off just as he did when I was little. Those poor paws are probably filled with my tears! So yeah. Hard week. I have high hopes for this next week though! I'm going to stay positive. I love you all and I miss you terribly but time is flying, so I need to enjoy it!!

Love Sister Rokovitz!


Lunch at Roma's

Singing in the rain and loving the use of my polka dot umbrella

Trying new ways to put my outfits together

Getting my hair braided by Makaya, Kevyaundra and LeiLei....THE MOST PAINFUL EXPERIENCE OF MY LIFE