Monday, October 7, 2013

I Love It Here

This week was amazing!! Never has the spirit been stronger on my mission!! Monday night was a fantastic evening!! Sister Giles and I took Sister Hulme and Sister Vandenberg to the hospital with us. We had a member who was there with her son and her clothes were dirty and she just wanted something fresh. We found some clothes and took them to her. The sisters had an idea that we could sing to all the members at the hospital... problem though. There weren't anymore members there at the time! We had to fill out forms and lots of things to sing to other patients so instead we sang to the receptionist in the main lobby. I was nervous because there were so many people in the lobby... but we did it. On our way out we passed another desk and the man there suggested that we sing over the loudspeaker for everyone in the lobby. Oh man... we were scared!!! The man said "Be bold!! The bible says you need to be bold!" We freaked out a little and the man got the phone ready and handed it to us... So we did it. We huddled around the phone facing away from everyone and sang Lead Kindly Light. When we finished, the whole lobby started clapping!! One group asked if we had a CD.... we don't... obviously. But we did sing them another song and then invited them to General Conference! We pretty much invited everyone in the lobby to conference. We gave them pictures of the Salt Lake City Temple and they loved it! They were such a sweet group of people!

We started driving home and Sister Vandenburg said, "Wait! Take a right!" She felt impressed to stop by a less active home in their ward. It was Brother and Sister White. Sister White was in a wheelchair. She wheeled into the TV room and we asked if we could sing for her. Of course she said yes! So we did. She then told us with tears in her eyes that it was exactly what she needed. She then told us that they were struggling with their son. He was getting kicked out of where he lived and had bruises and wasn't doing well.. At that point I immediately thought of my own brother and had such a broken heart for her. I suggested we sing one more song, and so we did. While we were singing I was thinking the whole time of something I could share with her. At the end she shared some more about her son. Sister Vandenberg shared some amazing thoughts with her about enduring trials and staying close to God through them. Sister White expressed how hard things are for her. She explained that Michael (her son) was handicapped/special needs. He can't walk and he's non-verbal. They can't take care of him anymore and that's why he was in a different home. He has been abused by those who take care of him in several ways. I couldn't hold back my tears! I just wanted to hug her! Sister Vandenberg finished up and we said a prayer with her. I was bawling!! I knew I had to share my thoughts with her or I would regret it. Each sister gave her a hug on our way out. When it was my turn, I took her hands and she squeezed them tight. I said something along the lines of this:
   "If I don't tell you this before I leave I will regret it. My brother had some difficulties but not to the same extent of your son. I've worked with special needs kids throughout my life and they are special souls! People don't understand that! These special souls are strong angels that have been given a body that is different from ours. They can handle more than we can. They are stronger than we are and so they can handle their trials.
Others don't understand them. We love them and care for them. I once heard the testimony of a handicapped boy in my seminary class. He was in a wheelchair and struggled to talk. But I will never forget that day and what he said! He said that he couldn't wait to get to heaven! Then he wouldn't have to be in a wheelchair and he was going to have a race with everyone and he was going to win! I'm sure he'll want to race against your son one day! I know you have probably never heard the testimony of your son, but he has a strong one!"

Sister White was sobbing... and I was too! The spirit was SOOO strong! She said her mind was eased and it was just what she needed. She hugged me and thanked me. We all left and stood outside the car and just hugged each other. It was an amazing experience. That's why I'm here. Sister White needed me! And without all 4 of us sisters we wouldn't have been there that night! . Sister Hulme helped us want to sing, Sister Giles led us to the hospital, Sister Vandenberg led us to the Whites after the hospital, and I shared what the spirit told me to. Nights like that make all the worries and doubts and fears and nerves of a mission go away. God loves us so much and works in very mysterious ways. I'm so glad I'm here!

SHAY IS GETTING BAPTIZED!!! She is getting baptized on the 19th! How awesome is that! Her aunt got baptized on Saturday. Her aunt was so happy! She came up out of the water and said "AMEN!" She also shared her testimony and she was just so happy to be a part of the church family!

Jenna... said she wasn't interested in converting. So we told her that wasn't our purpose. We just wanted to talk and help strengthen her faith. She set up an appointment with us and then bailed.

I was reading my patriarchal blessing this week too!! Remember when I got it and you said that it said I would serve a mission? I laughed at you... I thought "silly mom. I'll never serve a mission." Well I read it and sure enough... plain and clear. I would serve a mission. You were right.

Dad, you really have studied the scriptures and I'm trying so hard to do the same so I can find these hidden treasures and share them with my investigators. I appreciate you taking the time to look up the answers to my questions. It feels like you're a part of my mission too :) We're studying together!! I have learned so much from you and I cannot wait till my next free moment when I can read the chapters you said and I can find more answers. I have learned to "doubt my doubt before I doubt my fears." I have come to the realization that I still have great amounts of faith and to use those. One thing that I have learned more than anything out here is patience. The Lord works in his own ways and on his own times. I cannot teach my investigators to be patient through their trials if I am not willing to do the same. I just continue to pray, search for answers, be faithful and patient, and trust in the Lord. A mission is amazing. It's hard... but... It's amazing. I can go for a couple days without success and feeling useless... but every time before I hit my lowest and want to give up, God gives me a miracle that sustains me a little longer.

I woke up this morning and sat right up instead of rolling out like I usually do, and I was happy and excited to start my day! I've wanted to study the scriptures so much that I've ended up reading at meals!! I love it here. I miss you and I just wish you all could watch me for a day to see how good I'm doing and how much I've changed. Well... I've got to go. I love you so much and I could not have asked for a better Father and Mother. I'm so glad both of you served missions. It has made our home stronger. I would be a hopeless wreck if I didn't come out here. I will talk to you next week. :) I love you!!

Love the super duper Sister Rokovitz!

p.s..... there are millions of chipmunks and squirrels out here!! There isn't a single day where I don't see at least 25 of them!! I love it!! It's like I'm in an enchanted forest! haha .... if only I could talk to them....